What is the online equivilent for the lemonade stand?
If I look thru my list of Online Revenue Models I see that some are easier to implement. Some things which can generate revenue quickly as a small one person shop. These are different from those things that take some other large component to make it work quickly:
Short term opportunity or easier to do:
- 4. Ads - http://wordsearch.armoredpenguin.com
- 5. Sell a product directly - http://Amazon.com http://Frogstore.com
- 6. Sell a product Indirectly - Amazon bookstore http://Puzzazz.com
- 7. Subscription - http://Netflix.com
- 15. Donations - Ala NPR / Public Radio - http://WikiPedia.org
As opposed to Longer term harder to do things:
- 1. Get paid to do it - Consultants, webdesigners -
- 2. Increase Sales of an existing product - http://www.Pepsi.com
- 3. Reduce costs for an existing process - http://www.UPS.com
- 8. Enable an Exchange - http://Ebay.com
- 9. Float - http://paypal.com (old model)
- 10. Sell Aggregate User Data - http://Janrain.com
- 11. Product Placement - http://Vidoop.com
- 12. Pay for Job Post - http://Craigslist.com (Selective sales)
- 13. Pay for Support - Open source - http://project.net
- 14. Sell Online Real-estate or virtual Items - http://SecondLife.com
The great things about the lemondade stand is that the goals are clear, the process is clear and it ends up being all about execution.
Looking even closer at the list, it seems that ads and donations are the quickets and easiest.
- 4. Ads -> Set up a Blog and turn on ads
- 15. Donations - Ala NPR / Public Radio -> Put up a donate button
A little more work:
- 5. Sell a product directly -> Requires fullfillment
- 6. Sell a product Indirectly -> Sign up with Vendor to resell product
- 7. Subscription -> set up a subscription, membership
While both Ads and Donations require you to create content that is valuable to the reader and then to attract an audience, it seems that ads generate more revenue for the level of work.
This Suggests that suggests that the Lemonade stand of the Internet is to create a Blog and put up ads on it.
The steps to this would be:
- Set up a bank account to keep all the revenue in, keeping money separate from the personal money.
- Sign up for Blog software - Let's use Google Blogspot - http://www.blogspot.com
- Sign up with Ad provider - this is a part of blogspot by clicking on monitize. Ads will be inserted into the blog.
- Write content that is valuable to an audience.
- Spread the word that you are writing and build an audience.
Does this seem like the simplest revenue and business model on the internet? Would this be the canidate for the "Online Lemonade Stand"?
What would your choice be?